Monday, October 12, 2009

Starting


As this is the first time that I took the step and decided to write down what is happening in my wood carving world... this will be thoughts and stories of what it is to be a decoy maker / wood carver...

A little back ground... while learning the art of woodcarving for the past 20+ years, I have met and worked with some of the greatest people that anyone would ever want to know...

Stating with my father Richard B. Smoker... he started myself on the path and really showed the basic and the sheer enjoyment that comes from making items with your own hands... next would be my older and much more talented brother Rich W. Smoker, even though he is a world champion, he always has time to help and discuss ideas with me...

I have taken classes from many great carver and I also share what I have learned with others...


With that said.. I have a small carving shop and carve two night a week... several people come and carve with me... I do my painting at my home.. less dust and more relaxed...
I really decided to do this to keep a record of making a world class rig of three birds... I know that it will be a chore and many hours will be spent... but this project is something that I want to do... Worlds is in April, 2010 so we got five months...

No comments:

Post a Comment